Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Praying Vs Acting

When I hear peoples responses whenever ‘Praying’ is suggested, it lets me know that those who raise arguments against prayer being a line of action do not fully understand what prayer is.

I shall try sharing some thoughts here, with the hope of opening your minds to what prayer IS NOT and what it is.

Praying IS NOT a state of hopelessness’, it’s not a lazy option sought by those who don’t seek to change situations.

Praying IS what gets you out of that state of hopelessness.

Praying IS what opens your eyes to the answers for that situation which you face.

I hear many people say “Don’t just pray, prayer doesn’t solve any problem, ACT, do something” and I ask “Do what? What do I know to do?”

Oya, you, in all your “prayer is not the solution” wisdom, can you please tell me what the solution to my problem is? Don’t give me a textbook answer please, no thesis, get me out of my predicament.

If I wasn’t sure of what I was saying, you’d probably here me saying “Pastor XYZ said, Pastor ABC said”… BUT, I write this, just as the disciples wrote in 2 Peter 1:16 ---- For we were not following cleverly devised stories when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah), but we were eyewitnesses of His majesty (grandeur, authority of sovereign power)…. This is not some feel good story, I write what I’ve seen work for me (and is still working for me). It’s out of my own experience so calm down and read. #YesYou! :P

Whether we like to admit it or not, most of our ideologies have come from something we’ve read somewhere, or activities, events in history we’ve observed and these have helped form our opinions on certain issues.

That I do not contest, but, it then means that you must allow me to state my opinion from what I’ve read from the Bible and observed from various accounts of history stated in it. Yes, ehen? You have your articles and books, and I have my book too, my Bibeli Mimo. Yes ke, *shines teeth*

Anyway,

HISTORY:

The children of Israel at various points were faced with difficult situations, and they sought God’s face (prayed) on what to do, asking what the next line of action would be. God answered and sent his word. Psalm 107:19,20 --- “Lord, help!” they cried in their trouble, and he saved them from their distress. He sent out his word and healed them, snatching them from the door of death.
They never went to war without first asking God what to do (praying).

PRESENT DAY:

A man/woman/nation is faced with a difficult situation. He/She/They seek God’s face in ‘Prayer’ and he sends his word to them, a message from the bible, or he breathes ideas into their spirit right there in their praying position, they take note of the answers and do as he says.

You can deduce from this that ‘Prayer’ is itself an action. It is a ‘Strategy Session’ with you and the maker of the Universe; the one who has seen the end of the matter from the beginning and knows the next step to take. People who act first plan, that’s what you do in prayer.

Maybe it’s our ‘religious’ upbringing that’s holding us back from fully comprehending the true meaning and impact of prayer. In the past (and even today), people just pray to fulfil all righteousness, they don’t really expect answers to their prayers. They pray, stand and act like what they just did is not related to anything.

Today and to those who understand and know better, when we pray, we even have a pen and paper beside us, because we are expectant. Prayer is the beginning of the process of solving the matter at hand. As you pray, the Holy Spirit begins to breathe ideas into you and you begin to jot them down. When you stand from that place of prayer, you no longer see the problem as unsolvable or the situation as hopeless, rather, your eyes open and you begin to notice answers everywhere. Prayer gets you out of that “I’m finished, there’s nothing else I can do” state.

If you don’t have a notebook or something to write down your ideas get one and don’t pray without it beside you.

Get a pen and paper (or something to take a note with, these days we use our mobile devices) whenever you want to pray about a situation (this would mean it has to be with you at all times because the Bible says we are to pray without ceasing). Praying is you having a conversation with him; your instructor, and this can be done anywhere. You can say a prayer aloud or under your breath and expect an answer and note down what he says. You’ll know it when you get his response because he says that his sheep hears his voice, if you’re his, then you’ll know when he replies.

Something else to note is that we wrestle not against flesh and blood, life is spiritual. Everything we see in the physical is a reflection of something that’s taking place in the spiritual realm.

Let me give you an example. In Exodus 107, there was a battle between the people of Israel and Amalek. In verse 11 we read --- And it came to pass, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed: and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed.
A physical battle was going on but they noticed the results were from a spiritual process. Don’t be deceived, I say again, Life is spiritual.

America does not have the solution to Nigeria’s problems, other nations also do not. (switches to pidgin) Dem sef dey find who go solve their own. Textbook solutions have failed the world and its systems. All man dey package themselves make e be like say dem know wetin dem dey talk. Don’t think that all these articles and ‘boboyaya’ statements will help anyone. One moment they release a roadmap filled with the ‘supposed’ solution to the problem and the next minute their hands are on their heads because it has failed.

Prayer puts you in a place of authority; far above all the plenty grammar people are busy speaking everywhere.

On many accounts the bible tells us of how God revealed the plans of the enemies to the Israelites. Imagine going to war with not just the knowledge of your move, but that of your adversaries; placing you steps ahead of them. Now that’s what I call being at a position of advantage.

In a praying place you’re receiving spiritual solutions to physical problems. As you receive the instructions for the next steps concerning an issue, you dispatch ministering angels to go ahead of you to make sure things are in place and that your actions produce the desired results.

Why do you think people get frustrated? They keep doing their best but the system keeps pulling them down.

That’s when you need to act from a position of advantage and that is what your senses alone cannot give you. That’s why you go about solving it by getting instructions from the one who knows the beginning from the end and he has seen the obstacles you’ll face and has planned a way of escape for you already.

Praying IS NOT an alternative to action, IT IS your first step in action.

So, next time you hear someone say “Have you prayed about it?” or “Pray for Nigeria”, know that this means “Go and strategize”.

Church agbasa (The service has ended)… :D

2 comments:

  1. First, lemme Confess:

    When I opened the page on my phone, I was like "What?!" O_O "you go fear epistle!"
    Fast forward a couple of hours, drink in hand and laptop open, I settled down to read and here is my response:

    *clap, clap, clap*

    What I love the most is how this isn't about what “Pastor XYZ said, Pastor ABC said", like you said, but what you have "seen with your eyes, looked upon, and your hand have handled" just like John wrote in 1st John:1

    When we pray proactively like you've just described instead of reciting or repeating empty words like we have become used to, we experience God in a personal way that might be difficult to explain to others.

    I don't have the "intellectual intelligence" to argue about ideologies... I just know that when I was stuck. I asked God what I should do, He told me, I did it and I have a testimony. Shikena!

    Thanks Mayneeeze for sharing.
    Did I say the post was long? You go fear comment wey long past post *covers face*

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahahahahahahha, me sef as I typed it out I kept thinking, "Dear God, this is really long o, I hope they have the patience to read it"

    But, like Jeremiah 20:9 "...his word burns in my heart like a fire. It’s like a fire in my bones! I am worn out trying to hold it in! I can’t do it!" (New Living Translation).

    Congrats on your baby dear!!! :D

    ReplyDelete